Carter

Administrator
Well, there's no thread yet so let me start one. James Cameron wrote this script a decade and a half ago and was told that the technology was just not advanced enough for him to do it properly.

So, I believe he said he pulled the script back out in about 2005 and decided that it could finally be done. This has been his baby he's wanted to do for a long time and he invested in developing his own cameras and technology that were needed to make it. It's total budget including marketing was around half a billion dollars, half of that which was production. All the CGI characters are real actors and actresses playing those parts, they're not just voiced animation. Even the horses and some of the creatures are real animals that are used and then re-created by computer imagery.

I've been waiting for this movie for a LONG time. Got tickets to see it at the IMAX tomorrow night, everyone says it's revolutionary and brilliant, I can't wait.

briguy

Was Eheavy now Elite lol
Also been hearing alot about it..probably gonna break a lot of records! Think this movie might surpass the Titanic one!

Eugenius

Senior Crater
Hey Carter,

Just out of curiosty, what's your opinion on the movie's casting controversy regarding race?

http://www.awn.com/news/films/avatar-last-airbender-casting-controversy-continues
http://edopeno.com/2009/01/22/avatar-the-last-airbender-movie-racism/
http://io9.com/5111680/avatar-casting-makes-fans-see-white

Personally, I feel like whoever originally picked and approved the cast were simply being ignorant because my sister used to be obsessed with the cartoon and as far as I remember, the show was about Asians (fictional world, but clearly in an Asian setting). It puzzles me why they decided to make the cast all white kids (oh wait! no it doesn't!).

EDIT: Different movie. Got Avatar: The Movie and Avatar: The Last Airbender mixed up.

Last edited:

Eugenius

Senior Crater
That's a different movie, this is a James Cameron project based on a script he wrote, not on a cartoon.
Ah! I see. I got it mixed up with M. Night Shyamalan's Avatar: The Last Airbender and you're referring to James Cameron's Avatar: The Movie.

My bad.

Anyhow, about Avatar: The Last Airbender... isn't the whole casting a huge joke? lol

Like, seriously??? haha. Pretty bad considering Shyamalan was given a $250 million budget!!

Last edited:
Ah! I see. I got it mixed up with M. Night Shyamalan's Avatar: The Last Airbender and you're referring to James Cameron's Avatar: The Movie.

My bad.

Anyhow, about Avatar: The Last Airbender... isn't the whole casting a huge joke? lol

Like, seriously??? haha. Pretty bad considering Shyamalan was given a $250 million budget!!
Heh, well it can't be any worse than the casting for DragonBall, what a load of crock that was lol.

But yeah i'm pretty hyped for Avatar, gonna wait another month or two to see it (I hate packed movie theaters lol). It's got an 83% rating so far on rottentomatoes.com, looking good.

I've yet to see the movie but from what i have seen in how its made and the commercials it looks awesome. I love CG movies just so i can see how far they made the characters look real.
Let us not forget when Sony came up with Final Fantasy: Spirits Within. it still had a game look to it but the characters details were stunnign for a movie made in 2000. then theres Ark which was in my opion the most real movie and awesome giant robot fight scene in it that was insanely cool.

Back to avatar. well if i know James Cameron then i know this is gonna be a good movie just like his last ones.

briguy

Was Eheavy now Elite lol
I went and seen it and the theater was packed....all I can say is awesome! Only set back was the 3D glasses, (could have been more modern looking lol) Will see again!

Carter

Administrator
My quick 2 pennies.

The 3D glasses were extremely annoying. The acting, the story, the dialogue were all weak. The story had absolutely no depth and was extremely predictable. The antagonist(s) was/were very stereotypical, I honestly expected a lot more from the story and was very disappointed in that.

The 3D and the visuals though were unreal. The scene where they were trying to revive the girl and everyone was sitting around the tree swaying back and forth was absolutely incredible, as were most of the scenes with the avatars.

Overall, it's worth seeing - as groundbreaking as it was made out to be? Probably not. With a better story, it would go down as a classic, the way it ended up it will probably be forgotten pretty quick.